Studying Spanish in Buenos Aires?
If so, are you wondering how you can have the most successful stay abroad in this beautiful city?
Buenos Aires and the surrounding areas have a population of about 13 million people making this city just what it is; diverse, hectic, and constantly running at high speed. Despite being one of the safest capital city’s in South America, Buenos Aires, like any big city, has its share of crime, petty theft, and more, and it is best to know how to ‘manage’ yourself well when living abroad here.
1. Always be aware of your surroundings. When you are out in the city, make sure that you are aware of what is happening around you and take care of your belongings; someone that looks like they are not paying attention are often targets of petty theft.
2. Avoid wearing high priced and ‘flashy’ jewellery. You can still wear jewellery but it is best leave anything very expensive at home unless for a special occasion.
3. Use the ATM’s in the day. They are open at night, but let’s be honest, this is a safe move no matter where you live.
4. Do not walk alone late at night. Keep in a group, or better yet, take a taxi. There are many streets that will be full of people, even in the late hours, but locals here do not walk along so you should not either.
5. Take registered taxis as often as possible. It is best to get a ‘radio’ taxi phone number and call it whenever you need a taxi. These taxis are registered and more secure than just hailing a taxi from the street.
If you use your common sense, it is almost a guarantee that you will leave Argentina with only the best memories!