For any Spanish students in Buenos Aires this winter, we encourage you to spend at least one night at home in order to cook a traditional Argentine meal. We know it is easy to go out to the many trendy and delicious restaurants in the city but creating your own argentine meal and then bringing home the recipe will put a little bit of Argentina back in your home country.
A very traditional, easy, and delicious recipe from Argentina is the famous Milanesa. A milanesa is a thin piece of meat (pressed), often oval in shape, coated in bread crumbs and then either fried or baked. This traditional Argentine treat can be found in almost any Argentine restaurant, supermarket, or family home, and is easy to make, easy to prepare, and hits the spot whether you are hungry or not.
4 meat patties (any meat of your choice, thinly sliced or pressed)
3 eggs, beaten
Salt, garlic powder, lemon juice
1. Flatten your chosen meat by pounding with a meat mallet until thin.
2. Beat the eggs lightly with the salt and pressed garlic.
3. Take each piece of meat and coat it with the egg mixture and then press it into the breadcrumbs.
4. You can cook the milanesas in either a frying pan, filled with a little bit of oil, or in the oven on a baking sheet, also oiled.
5. Depending on your taste, add as little or as much oil when cooking the milanesas.
6. You can serve it with mustard or on its own, with eggs, or beside a salad. Just make sure to enjoy it with friends and family!