The whole world felt a hit from the global financial crisis this year and Argentina was no different. However, despite this hit, many foreign currencies, especially those from the United States, Canada, and Europe, have a major financial advantage here in Argentina, making studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, totally affordable.
There are a 5 ways to make your stay in Buenos Aires affordable:
1. Speak with your home bank about overseas service charges and see if there is a way to lower the charges or eliminate them when you are taking out money abroad. Often, banks place these charges on your account and just a simple request to remove them or lower them, does the trick.
2. Do your research before you come to Buenos Aires; tourism is very good business for Argentina and sometimes foreigners pay more than they should for certain services, accommodation, etc. Just make sure to check out all of your options before you decide on anything or ask one of our Expanish advisors for assistance.
3. Organize your time in Buenos Aires and make a realistic plan of how many times a week you can eat out, how many weekends will you be able to travel, etc. The best way to not overspend is to plan your budget in advance.
4. Take advantage of activities, workshops, and excursions through Expanish to add to your cultural immersion experience. For example, every week a dinner out with staff is offered at a great place and at an affordable price. If you want to take extra activities, sign up for group activities along with your fellow students.
5. Try to find original ways to make the most out of the city; spend the day at the Palermo Bosques, take the train to the riverside town of Tigre, watch an outdoor concert on the weekend, or take a walking tour throughout the city, armed with nothing more than a map. There are a myriad of things to do in Buenos Aires that cost little or no money!
Learn more about Why you should study Spanish in Buenos Aires!