We figure you’ve found this page because you’re interested in learning Spanish, right? Welcome to the right place. In this article, we will share with you some fun and inspiring tips to learn Spanish as a beginner and some information about the communicative language teaching approach. Oh, and we’ve added a special video for beginners at the end you won’t want to miss.
Let’s dive right in
Even if you’ve got absolutely ZERO experience or knowledge of Spanish, and are trying to learn Spanish as a beginner you can learn how to communicate some basics! At our school, we implement communicative language teaching method. What does that mean exactly?
The communicative language method means actually communicating together in the language, from the very beginning (yes, even when you don’t know a word). You’ll begin to pick up, use context clues and understand certain word meanings.
Our teachers will lead discussions and have all students speak to one another. He or she may ask you a question, and then have you ask the next student the same question, and so on. This means everyone gets to listen and speak… Thus effectively learning through communication.
Now the focus isn’t only on this, nor does it mean that grammar isn’t important to start with from the very beginning. In addition to listening and speaking being a big part of the approach, we will also start off the bat with reading and writing as well. Don’t worry, it isn’t as scary as it sounds.
If you don’t know what a word means that he or she writes on the board or says, simply look it up in a dictionary or on your phone. This action will help you commit the translation to memory in your mind.
Fun and inspiring tips for learning Spanish as a Beginner
We know, we know – studying isn’t always “fun” per say, but here are a few interesting ideas to get you inspired to learn:
- Old fashion flash cards always do the trick. Play a game with yourself checking each word and translation until you memorize them!
- Make note of the commonalities between Spanish and English (or whatever your native language is).
- Listen to Spanish covers of songs you love and know the words too!
- For the brave, try to cook with a recipe in Spanish!
- Try reading a simple children’s book in Spanish with easy vocabulary and grammar.
- Once you feel a little confident, practice what you already know by speaking with a native speaker (such as a local teacher, a waitress, a hairdresser, etc).
- Take a Spanish language immersion program and study abroad! This is probably the most fun way to learn, if we’re being honest.
You can discover the best programs for intensive Spanish immersion, offered in Argentina or Spain. Expanish courses are perfect for students, expats, travelers, etc. We truly believe you’ll be confident and hopefully pleased with yourself, even after starting the first day!
Check out this video one of our teachers helped us create below. It will show you what sort of things you’ll learn just from your first day at Expanish! We focus on you learning to understand what is being said, as well as teach you how to say the survival phrases and express yourself from the very beginning.
In addition to working hard at the school, we know how to make sure our students have fun as well. Check out cool destinations while experiencing local culture through our curated programs, excursions and networking opportunities. We promise you’ll be making new friends from all around the world, all whilst while learning Spanish.
Contact us today to learn more and begin learning Spanish.