3 times winner of the ST Awards 'Star Spanish School' and finalist in 2023. Book with us! >>

  1. /
  2. Visas


A guide to getting a student visa for your stay

Studying Spanish abroad can be a life-changing experience and opportunity, but it’s essential that you have your official paperwork in order before traveling. Immigration requirements differ for each country, so be sure to check with your local consulate before departing to study Spanish in Spain or Argentina. 

It is the sole responsibility of the student to ensure compliance with local immigration rules. If you have any questions with respect to the visa or immigration requirements for your particular situation, please contact us.

How to Get a Student Visa for Spain

Read this article for full details on how to apply for a student visa in Spain.

Currently, citizens of the European Union can enter Spain with a valid passport and stay for as long as they wish. All non-EU/EEA citizens will need to apply for a student visa if they intend to study in Spain for more than 90 days. This could be a short-term (type C) student visa for courses between 90 and 180 days, or a long-term (type D) visa for any course longer than 180 days. 

To apply for a student visa before you travel you need to book an appointment at your local Spanish embassy/consulate. You can submit your visa application no less than 30 days and no more than 90 days before you start your studies, but we recommend you do it as early as possible to give you time to deal with any unexpected delays. As of September 2018, visitors to Spain from non-EU countries that require a student visa to study can apply from within the country. This means that you can come in on a tourist visa, enroll in a Spanish course, and then apply for a student visa if you decide to extend your stay.

Once you have an appointment, you need to get your paperwork ready (be sure to take photocopies of everything). General requirements include:

  • Passport (valid for the entire period of the intended stay)

  • Completed visa application form

  • An official letter of acceptance at Expanish (we provide this upon request)

  • Proof of sufficient economic means for the entire period of the intended stay (more details here).

  • Proof of housing for at least the first four weeks of your stay in Spain (Expanish can help with this - contact us to find out more!)

  • Health insurance for your entire stay

  • For long-term stays: A medical certificate signed by a registered doctor in your country stating that you are in good health and a criminal record check from the country you have resided in for the previous 5 years.

Your documents will need to be translated into Spanish by an official translator and public documents must be apostilled.

You should receive notification from your consulate/embassy about your application in around 4-6 weeks. If approved, you will need to collect your visa in person. It should include your NIE (or Foreigner Identification Number), which is useful for getting most things done when you arrive. 

Congratulations – you’re heading for an adventure in Spain! 

If you have a visa for longer than 180 days, you can get a TIE (Foreigner Identity Card) when you arrive in Spain from the local immigration office (Oficina de Extranjeros). You must apply for this within 30 days of arriving. Read our blog for more information.

How to Get a Student Visa for Argentina

Student visas are NOT currently issued for Spanish language courses at a private institute like Expanish in Argentina. Our students enter Argentina on a tourist visa, which lasts 90 days and can be renewed for a second period of 90 days after arrival (for a total period of 180 days). For citizens of most countries this visa is granted automatically on arrival. However, students from some countries are required to apply for a tourist visa before travel and sometimes the limit of the visa is just 30 days or the specific duration of their trip. 

Always check the consulate page for your country of origin to be clear on what is required to enter Argentina. It is the sole responsibility of the student who wishes to study Spanish in Buenos Aires to ensure compliance with the Argentina immigration requirements prior to departure.

If you are interested in a longer Spanish course in Argentina (more than 180 days), please send us an email at hola@expanish.com.