The Communicative Approach for Teaching Spanish
Expanish uses the Communicative Method, emphasizing constant use of Spanish in order to encourage well-rounded progress. Our Spanish teaching methods encourages students to interact and speak with professors and peers alike in Spanish, allowing them to use the language in a variety of contexts.
At Expanish, Spanish teachers use a teaching method which ensures that students will learn the language by exploring Spanish culture, current affairs, sports, dance, art, human rights, and business. At Expanish, our Spanish Teaching Methods in Barcelona, as well as our professors are committed to advancing the Spanish language skills of every student and providing an excellent learning environment.
Teaching Spanish with four keys language skills
Spanish Classes at Expanish use a teaching methodology that develops four key language skills: writing, reading, speaking and listening. All four of these skills will be addressed through a variety of exercises, class discussions, multimedia interactions, and practical applications. By integrating students in this way, these Spanish Teaching Methods in Barcelona are the best way to gain language proficiency and give students the tools they need to capitalize in all areas of language development through communication instead of memorization.
What follows is a chart which represents Spanish language level advancement from A1 (Beginner) to C2 (Master of Proficiency), as well as the number of weeks, suggested to progress to each subsequent level. Throughout the levels, Expanish maintains a flexible approach, as our Spanish teaching methods adapt the classroom dynamic to address the learning needs and strengths of each group. Advancement speed is determined by a group dynamic, allowing the students to advance together.
- C2 – Master of Proficiency Student is easily able to understand basically everything he/she hears or reads; understands how to restructure arguments and information from a variety of sources as well as present them in a coherent and correct manner.
- C1 – An Advanced Student is able to recognize implicit meanings as well as complex texts. Student is able to effectively use the language for social, professional and academic purposes, and can also produce clearn, well structured text on a variety of subjects.
- B2 – The Upper Intermediate Student has no difficulty in understanding the main ideas of complex texts, and has the ability to produce detailed, clear texts on different topics, as well as defend their point of view.
- B1 – The Intermediate Student is able to comprehend the main points of basic texts in straight forward language and is able to produce simple, coherent texts. Student is able to handle most situations that might arise during a trip.
- A2 – An Elementary Student is able t0 communicate simple, daily tasks through direct information exchanges as well as information. Student is also able to describe his/her past, physical surroundings, and immediate needs in simple terms.
- A1 – Beginner Student is able to articulate and understand simple, frequently used everyday expressions as well as phrases designed to satisfy immediate needs.
The Complete Immersion Experience
Expanish recognizes that learning Spanish while living in a Spanish speaking country is the most effective way achieve an indepth understanding as well as proficiency in the language. As you immerse yourself in the language through speaking, listening in, and communicating throughout real-life situations, the more confidence you will develop in your language skills.
To facilitate Spanish Speaking outside of the classroom, we offer the following activities:
- Interactive programs throughout the week;
- Excursions during class sessions to local places around the city, such as traditional cafés, museums, and historic sights that complement class material;
- Accommodations with Spanish-speaking families or shared accommodations with Spanish speakers;
- Homework which ensures that students are using and practicing grammar and vocabulary skills.
You will quickly find that the best way to maximize development throughout your time in Barcelona is speaking to classmates, homestay families, and locals as much as you can, in addition to reading books and news articles, watching television shows as well as movies, listening to podcasts, music, and the radio.
Small Classes and Framework
Students learn better when they feel confident and comfortable, which is why we offer small group classes consisting of an average of 6 students. Our small classes allow for more personalized attention in a relaxed and comfortable environment which enables the students to feel confident when practicing Spanish aloud.
All of our programs are aligned with and based on the Cervantes Institute. The curriculum and teaching plans are framed by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Expanish recruits the best Spanish teachers in Barcelona in order to ensure the best quality training on instruction. Our teachers are native Spanish speakers, as well as professional, dynamic and passionate about what they teach. We ensure that our teachers are able to advance your Spanish skills at the highest rate possible in the shortest amount of time achievable, by providing ongoing support and feedback as the student progresses.
The education materials provided by Expanish have been designed page by page by our very own professors, academic support team and students. We are proud to offer materials that incorporate learning opportunities based upon everyday situations that might occur in Spain. The lessons also include fun and useful Spanish slang, meaning that you will be able to experience a dynamic approach yo learning how to write, read, speak and comprehend Spanish.
Our materials are specifically designed for each language level: from A1 (Beginner) to C2 (Master of Proficiency). For each level our professors have prepared activities and in-class lessons as well as assessments and vocabulary sheets for extra practice. These stimulating and challenging materials are included in the price of your program, and perfect for taking with you to continue your studies as you travel or after returning home.